Friday, October 3, 2014

Gratitude for Nature

What better way to recognize and celebrate Autumn than to take a day trip to the mountains with special friends? I feel blessed that I recently got to do a day trip getaway with just the gals. We left bright and early on a Saturday morning, packed a picnic and headed to the North Georgia mountains, with a particular waterfall destination in mind, Amicalola Falls. Amicalola is a Cherokee word, meaning tumbling waters, which they indeed are! It was paradise and like something out of a movie, truly stunning to stand there and gaze up in awe at it's splendor and feel the sacredness of it.
   
Also while there I couldn't help but notice that the skies are bluer, the greens are greener, and the air definitely more clean and pure. The waterfall and mountains are clearly a piece of heaven here on earth for certain, which brings me to this observation: Why, oh why would someone want to litter upon such beauty? I was shocked at one point, when I was looking over a rail down onto some rocks where the waterfall was cascading.  There on the banks and rocks were a few empty food containers, crumpled cups and basic garbage! How does this happen? I try to tell myself that surely no one would be so inconsiderate and voluntarily litter. I try to tell myself that perhaps a strong gust of wind blew lids off of trash bins or something like that and that is how it happened. But sadly I realize that there are people who do not realize the gifts mother nature gives us all the time. We live in paradise, people think we have to go somewhere exotic or tropical or to a foreign country to see beautiful scenery, but that is not the case. The majestic beauty of nature is around us everyday, everywhere and we should cherish it and respect it and keep it beautiful.
  
I realize that I cannot control others actions and I also realize that by being mad at these so called inconsiderate people does me no good at all and it will not change the reality that there will always be careless people in our world that do careless things. So with that it mind, it inspires me even more so now to become even more active in picking up bits of trash when I see them. When I go on walks I will take a bag and pick up any castaways that I see. I will do what I CAN DO and not worry about what others are doing or not doing. I have much gratitude for this gem of a planet we live on and I choose to help keep it sparkling!

No comments:

Post a Comment